Welcome to the Gallery

Imagine is set in the Suffolk village of Long Melford.
This is an attempt to record the daily trials, tribulation and pleasure of running an art gallery.

Thursday 12 May 2011





It didn't take me long to lapse back into old ways.
I was going to post pictures of new work each day until the next exhibition.
Well at least I had the good intentions, but we all know sometimes having a life stops you blogging about it.
Mind you, at the moment I don't seem to have much time for a life as I seem to spend all my time here "putting out fires".
Or at least, writing to magazines, reminding artist's of a deadline, chasing for photographs, arranging trips and deliveries and I suppose just the everyday stuff that goes with running a gallery.
Last night I left here at 11.00pm which is not that too unusual as there always seems to be
"just one" unattended thing to sort out before I leave.
I know that many artists don't believe it, but running a gallery can be a full time job,
"if you are interested enough".
I suppose that's my problem, perhaps I get just a little bit too interested sometimes,
but that's a silly thing to say, as how can you not get too interested when you are seeing new creations and talking to different creators each day?

As a perfect example, I had a call yesterday from Ed Prybyl, the sculptor who lives in America.
He is sending a piece that he has crafted especially for our new exhibition.
It was so nice to hear his voice and to be able to put a personality to the person that I have only corresponded with by mail.
He told me that he had enjoyed the challenge of creating something that had such an interesting theme, and that it had made him stretch himself.
It was obvious that he had put a great deal of thought, effort and research into his sculpture.

To hear something like that, and to realise that it had been nurtured by your own imagination
was an absolute thrill, it must be the next best thing to being an artist.
It was very humbling, and it is the comments that he made that makes me feel that
"I must try harder, I must give all of my time and attention to this", because when you think of it, it is not a lot in return for all the work and effort put in by so many people who are just
trying to help my own dreams and imagination become a reality.

So, this gives me the perfect excuse to show pictures of Ed's sculpture, [which I hope is now somewhere over the Atlantic between him and us].
It is a very unusual piece of sculpture and certainly different to anything we have had before,
but the whole feeling of it is very close to my heart.
I love the "new, yet antique" feel about it, and it is the sort of thing I would love to have shown in the past. Had I known of someone like Ed Prybyl.

Unfortunately I have only recently "discovered" Ed.
It is nothing short of a miracle that he, listened to me, took me seriously, agreed to take part, and then spent the next three weeks making this especially for us.

He has chose to interpret a piece of the story that I really like.
The Mariner stopping and telling the Wedding guest his tale of woe.
Such an undramatic part in the poem of "The Ancient Mariner", but such an important part.
A simple piece of the story concentrating on people, and at least for me the most moving part
of this sad tale.
I just love the way that Ed has captured the "cynical" expression on the face of the young man,
and then also the "earnest and honest" expression of the mariner.
I can imagine the conversation,
"no listen to me boy, it's the truth".
"Yeah, OK Grandad".
It could be anytime in history.
The old trying to communicate with the young.
A problem I have, because I never go home.

Which reminds me I had better leave now, I have to be in early tomorrow as there are more exhibits arriving from Ireland.

Thanks Ed, I really appreciate your thought, hard work and imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment