Welcome to the Gallery

Imagine is set in the Suffolk village of Long Melford.
This is an attempt to record the daily trials, tribulation and pleasure of running an art gallery.

Wednesday 25 May 2011





I have been thinking that I should be showing pictures of the different works in the order that they arrived here, but I'm afraid that I can't, as the temptation to show the work of one lady was just too much to resist.
There are different reasons for this, one being that it was the last piece to arrive from America
although there is still a lot missing
or being dissected in customs that we are waiting for.

[Now that's got to be a good job, opening other peoples things, re-packing them badly, and then charging them for the privilege. Of course interspersed with lots of tea breaks].
But someone has got to do it.

I have gone off the track a little as I do.

The main reason that I am showing this piece of work is because the artist is the first person that I approached sometime about a year ago.
Well in fact she was the second person as originally it was intended as a solo exhibition by the sculptor John Maltby, but after a few weeks into the planning he wrote to me and said that he
didn't need the pressure of another solo exhibition as his health was too bad, he explained that he needed less stress and pressure, so urged me to make it a group exhibition.
So after sulking for a while I realised that he was right and in fact it would be much more interesting showing the interpretations of various artists, not just one.

So where should I start and who should I ask? I wasn't sure.
One week later I met a woman from Washington, who just happened to be showing
a few sculptures in the Lake District [like they do].
I was totally smitten by her work and was determined that I wasn't coming back to the gallery without some, which was lucky as she was equally determined that I should take
some with me.

So that is how I met Novie Trump.
The first person to agree to participate in this exhibition.

A year later in honour of our meeting her contribution became the cover for the invitation.
In fact she had made three sculptures but only this one survived the making process, she did describe the others to me but it only depressed me to know that I [not anyone] would never see them.
However, I might prevail upon her to re-visit the theme and try again.
But there I go being really presumptuous as usual.

The sculpture she made is beautiful, it is a 'Reliquary', almost a Tomb made from ceramic and shows the dead Albatross sealed behind a glass panel.
What is more amazing is that the glass panel is engraved with script from the story.
Underneath this there is an antique compass inset into the ceramic.
It was just the sort of mad, unusual, exciting and beautiful piece I knew she could and would create.
So when long ago she sent me a photograph of it I decided that it would be the invitation cover,
as my mind went back to when we stood in a field discussing what things could be made, conversations like "you know what would be really good"?
We have all had them at some time, and it is from these sort of chats that beautiful things
become a reality.
So, as she was the first I am letting her jump the queue of whose work I am showing.

Another nice thing is that not only did she send this piece
but she also included a couple of smaller sculptures for our "next" exhibition.
Even better still she included a small sculpture as a gift for me.
I don't know what I have ever done to deserve it, but I love it.

1 comment:

  1. A most magical piece! I thought Gustav Doré had said it all over a hundred years ago but these new takes on the old Rime are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete