Welcome to the Gallery

Imagine is set in the Suffolk village of Long Melford.
This is an attempt to record the daily trials, tribulation and pleasure of running an art gallery.

Saturday 24 January 2015

The Next Day



There was one place that I wanted to visit before my day was over, that was ODETTE.
Basically it is a touristy cake shop, and although I am not that bothered about cakes I was inspired to visit by a photograph I had seen on another blog.
The photograph said "Paris in a Nutshell", so I had to see it for myself.
So daybreak found me sitting in a map strewn bed trying to navigate the best route there.
I was pleased to find that it was not too far from the gallery that I intended to visit
Where the sculptures by Elisabeth were on display.
After my new found confidence of walking the streets of Paris the day before I decided to do the same
again, after all it only looked like a 40 minute stroll.
So it was settled, no Metro just walk and absorb the city for an hour.




Time keeping and navigation have never been my Strong points, I hasten to add.
Anyone could have told me that it was better to go by underground, but unfortunately I had nobody
around who would tell me what to do.
Even if I had I wouldn't have listened to them, because I know best.
Honest.




So with bag, camera and umbrella I set of on my grand tour of Paris.
I say grand tour because that is what it became.

"Remember"
I kept telling myself
"Keep the Eiffel Tower to my left then walk straight on and take every right hand turning towards the river".
How hard was that a child could do it.

It was easy, easy and fun although I did have to keep stopping to take snaps of the most uninteresting things, but I just wanted to capture a little of the ordinary side of the city, the places that were simple
yet reminded me that I was in France.



I ignored every Metro station that I came to.
The metro might be easy but this was more fun, plus it wasn't going to take me very much longer.
In fact I worked it out that by the time I had changed trains walking would be quicker.
Although I was getting a bit wet and my bag was getting heavier.




Ok, I admit it.
After two hours I was lost, my sheet of paper containing all of the street names that I should have
passed along the route
might as well have been written in French, I didn't know where I was, but it was still fun
and I did have a whole day.
Let's face it how long can you be lost for?
I would soon find the river.




One hour later.
"Excusez-moi, parlez-vous anglais", I asked a passer by.
"Oui, un peu.
[always the same answer, even if they are fluent, which they all are]
"Ou est ici, je suis perdu", I would say pointing at my map.
[of course you are you silly bugger, your from England. I could see them thinking].
But every time they always helped.
But I only went on to get lost again.
But it was a "good lost" and was the reason why I found many galleries and unusual art that otherwise I may have never seen.




The two sculptures above are a fantastic example.
[of course since returning home I have been speaking with the artist].
So really I was lost with a good cause, perhaps it was meant to be.

But bloody hell, that bag was getting heavy, so I discarded the brolly and ventured onwards.




After four hours I did eventually find the gallery I was searching for.
The sculptures were even better than I had anticipated and the owner was really nice,
She was very open and recommended different sculptors to me and let me browse her vast collection of limited edition prints.
She asked how trade was in England? She explained that it was a little slow in Paris at the moment, it was easy to understand as the gallery was situated in a very affluent area, an area which seemed to be the hub for art galleries, and of course being in such a location would come at a high price and would demand a high volume of sales.
I knew where she was coming from.




Before I left she directed me towards the river.
"From there if you turn left you will eventually come to Notre-Dame and opposite you will find ODETTE".
At last I wasn't lost, so instead of continuing I decided to "backtrack" a little bit and look at some galleries and unusual shops that I had passed along the way.




It goes without saying that within 30 minutes I was lost again but not before seeing some beautiful art.
The most memorable was at the gallery of the famous photographer
Yann Arthus-Bertrand




Many of his photographs were stunning but for me the very best were his 'Horses'
They really have to be seen to be believed, and the prices were affordable.
I came away with a signed book which has given me hours of pleasure ever since.




I was pleased to find that most of the galleries that I visited were not as good as my own
[in my own humble opinion of course]
But I did find one which although it was a "grotty" building it did exhibit some incredible  work.
I left very envious.




Somehow my day was nearly over, I had achieved nothing but had seen a lot that I enjoyed.
But I was still determined to find that elusive cake shop.
So with many more "Ou est ici" I found the Seine and turned left.
Walking as fast as I could.
The light was fading, plus I was aware that there was a train home to catch.

Then I came to 'Shakespeare And Company' the famous bookshop, beside it was a small lane.
Squashed in between other buildings was ODETTE.
It looked nothing, yet everything. I took one quick snap then turned around to go.
Wow!
I hadn't noticed that. It was Notre-Damn.
I stood for a few minutes in amazement then decided I had better find a Metro station fast.
This time I would use it.



Typical, you can never find a station when you need one.
But I did eventually and it was one of the old beautiful Art-Nouveau stations, unfortunately it was 
pouring with rain and now dark so I couldn't even take a snap, but next time.

Three hours later I awoke on the Eurostar just in time to catch the end of 'GoldenEye'
The man I was sitting squashed against was a James Bond fan and it seems that he was determined
to share the film with me on his laptop.
So rather than sit and replay the days events in my mind I closed my eyes.
Good thing he had headphones on because rumour has it that I snore, even when sitting asleep.

It seemed strange to climb of the train in Kent, but I was back home.
It was snowing again and my bag was definitely heavier but my head was full of images and idea's.

It wasn't meant to be a holiday break but it had felt like it.
As Irene told me
"You need to get out more".

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had quite an adventure, what a great story. Glad you got to see the gallery at last.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sharmon
    It wasn't really an adventure but it felt like one to me.
    The bonus was that I came home with a list of different artists who two days before I didn't even know existed.
    It is strange that on returning home I decided that I really had to travel a little more and meet different people, but within a day of being back in the gallery I started to think "I haven't got time to travel I have far too much to do".
    Plus, I do enjoy being in the gallery.

    Best Wishes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I'm sure that I would have enjoyed it more if you had been there. I think that we could have both gotten great pleasure from many simple beautiful things.

      Thanks for responding Mo, I do really appreciate it. I think about you, your life and where you live on a regular basis.
      It still seems so very strange to me to think that I know this lady who lives so far away.
      I hope things are well.

      John

      Delete