Welcome to the Gallery

Imagine is set in the Suffolk village of Long Melford.
This is an attempt to record the daily trials, tribulation and pleasure of running an art gallery.

Monday 10 May 2010






A little while ago I mentioned how I disliked the use of blogs to promote "ME".
So, ever the hypocrite here I go.
I didn't intend for it to be a "ME" post but I was starting to get very annoyed with myself for not 'posting' enough. What had been intended as a daily record of events had slowly turned into a weekly 'sum-up'.
Yesterday I decided that I must at least do three postings a week otherwise I might as well give up. With that thought in my mind I knew what today's would be about as it was an easy one.
Most of the trouble is having time to take photographs, as a blog is no good without them, so today's wasn't going to be too much of a problem.
I may have mentioned a long time ago that the gallery was originally intended to be a showplace for my photographs.
This was back in the days before I discovered a whole world of exciting art "out there".
Today as I look around the walls out of the 30 pieces of art on display only one picture is by me, and that is something that I feel very comfortable with. My own work I see nothing but faults with and it annoys me to look at it, but other peoples art I love and can not fault, and nothing gives me greater pleasure than having something new, exciting and different on the walls.
However, I have been showing my photographs with a very well known picture library for a long time. This means that they are shown to a very wide market worldwide. 
Occasionally one of the pictures gets used for a book or CD cover, which is something that still gives me a little bit of a "buzz", especially when the picture was important to me.

People often think that if something is published that it must mean "loads-a-money".
If only. The reality is that companies trade on ego's.
Ego, well that's my middle name, or it is when it comes to my pictures, so in the past I have been more than happy to accept whatever was offered [which isn't much].

I have had some fantastic times taking the most unusual of photographs, even one involving a 
poor girl laying in a stream in October, that, and another equally strange but fun photo-shoot I promise I will tell you about later this week.

See, I'm really getting into the swing of this "look at me thing".
Which is one reason that it bothers me to mention my pictures, but two things have happened in a couple of days which has them on my mind.
Firstly, one of the UK's most renowned 'fine art' picture library's contacted me to ask would I consider placing more of my work with them, secondly, a young woman who has been a model for me in the past [one of the story's I will mention] got in touch after two years asking about doing more photographs with her.
As a result, I have placed a lot of my work with a new library and I am busy trying to work out locations and ideas for new pictures with the young woman.
The new photographs will take a long time to come to fruition but the excitement of having a project of my own outside the worries of the gallery is something to look forward to.
So, today has been one of "digging" out old pictures to look at [and feed my enthusiasm], and sending lots of pictures off to a new home.
Maybe in time you might get to see them in a book shop or supermarket, in fact my wife once called me to say "I'm in the supermarket and I have a book in my hands with one of your pictures on the cover".
Wow! Fame at last, mind you I only received £60 for it, but what's that compared to an inflated ego?

So just in case you don't stumble across one of my pictures here are a few.
The first two featuring Sarah the model who has been in contact and who you will be hearing more about soon.
The others are just pictures that I like.
Well, that was an easy post, having pictures ready to show, maybe there is something to be said for this self promotion thing after all.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful!! Thanks for sharing you! The first two are so Vermeer or Rembrant-like.. the others- magical...

    And, I understand the misconception about how we artists are paid... when I was MUCH younger and visited the gallery that I am now represented by, I thought - "Wow, THESE artists are successful" - and making money, I concluded. Little did I know.... costs of framing, costs split with gallery, maybe a few sell in a show... YIKES!

    Thanks again for sharing your wonderful work,
    blessings from the forest!

    ReplyDelete