Welcome to the Gallery

Imagine is set in the Suffolk village of Long Melford.
This is an attempt to record the daily trials, tribulation and pleasure of running an art gallery.

Friday 1 October 2010






Some of the new work that I had been anticipating has started to arrive.
Every time a new delivery arrives I get excited, with the anticipation of what I might open next it really is like Christmas.
In fact Christmas came early for me in the shape of the sculptor Paul Harvey.
Paul, and his beautiful wife arrived at the gallery earlier this week, laden down with gifts,
or to be more precise his wonderful wildlife sculptures.
I have always thought of Paul as being 'Peter Pan' rather than Father Christmas as he is one of those very lucky people who doesn't seem to age.
When he arrived his age was of no importance, I had been looking forward to the arrival of his sculptures for some time, I just knew they would be good.
He has such an eye for both fine art and wild life, this mixed with his love of 'Art Deco'
results in some amazing work. It is loved by myself and the public alike, there is a quality about it that is hard to define, almost a moment of silence or stillness.
Whatever it is I love it and this week he "did us proud" bringing some stunning pieces with him. As soon as I get a chance I will take pictures, I must, as I promised him, also I would like to have a record of them after they have gone as I know they will disappear very quickly.

Apart from the excitement of Paul's visit I had other things on my mind.
Louise Richardson gave me a call asking me to confirm the date of her solo exhibition.
It's a good thing that she did as I have had so many things going on plus the impending opening of Irene's place on my mind I was really behind on with lots of things.
It didn't take long to "get back on track" once Louise sent me pictures of her new work.

Well, actually it did, as I loved so much of what she sent me I have spent at least two days dithering about what pictures I should use for her invitation.
Everything was so unusual [as usual].
This shouldn't have surprised me with Louise as I know her mind is so inventive, but surprise me it did, as I am sure it will many others when they see her creations.

I would just love to have a peak inside her mind.
Whatever she does is so very different, unusual and totally unique, everything that she does is like a page from a fairy book, you just don't know what to expect next.
I am giving a little sneak preview above, showing pictures of her dresses created from different discarded objects.
Bones washed up on a seashore, snake skins that have been shed.
Everything she uses either found by her or donated by people who think
"Louise could use that for something".
She has an enormous following of people who can't wait to see what she makes next.
Including me, but at least I'm the lucky person who will be showing it all.

Other things that have arrived are ceramic pieces by the potter Paul Young .
I have known Paul and shown his pottery for some time but it is only in the past few weeks that I have been looking at his sculptural work .
I must have been blind for so long, I know find it a delight, very naive, innocent and beautifully
crafted, there is something very English about it, perhaps it is this that helps it to find its way into museums worldwide. Paul's own account of how he was discovered and taken to New York
is really worth reading. His "fifteen minutes of fame" is I think how he described it.
A man whose workshop is an old rural rail station finding himself a celebrity in America.
How did this happen to a country potter?

I have crammed and compressed too many events into too small a post, but at the moment I don't seem to have enough hours in the day or days in the week, so everything written is a much watered down version of what has been going on but I thought it best to show something rather than nothing.
Or as the saying goes "treat them mean and keep them keen".
I can't say I believe in it but until I have a little more time this will have to do.

3 comments:

  1. Now why doesn't that surprise me WOL?
    I would have been disappointed if YOU if you hadn't liked it.
    Just wait we have some incredible Owl sculptures arriving in a weeks time, including a Barn Owl with 5 babies.
    I can't wait to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barn owl looks very beautiful flying in your gallery John

    ReplyDelete