Welcome to the Gallery

Imagine is set in the Suffolk village of Long Melford.
This is an attempt to record the daily trials, tribulation and pleasure of running an art gallery.

Friday 16 July 2010





It's been so long since the last post I had almost forgotten my password.
However, I'm back after a too long absence.
I can't even remember all the things that have happened since I last wrote so I will just mention the things that are currently affecting my mind and heart.
We have had the opening of our latest exhibition 'Sculptor', and though I promised to record the changes taking place in the gallery as I set up the new work I didn't get around to taking any,
this is for different reasons.
Firstly, pictures taken inside the gallery never seem to show it, or the exhibits as they really appear. The interior of the building is very strange, old, unusual and hard to illuminate, and it
does have a atmosphere all of its own, but it doesn't lend itself very well to contemporary
photography, which is unfortunate because the age of the building makes the work really stand out.
Secondly, as usual some work arrived so late that there wasn't the time.
So that's my excuse for the lack of photographs, the lack of writing is due to many other things.

Every exhibition takes a lot of time and attention to set up, and without a doubt the latest has been the hardest ever.
With such a mixed and strange selection of sculptures it was extremely difficult to display and arrange them in a cohesive manner, so that each piece was shown with its best potential.
As usual other work had to be stored for the duration, something that I know angers some artists.
In truth, I know that the more important and bigger artists would have expected no different and would not have been in the slightest bit concerned.
Still, the packing, storing, unpacking, displaying and arranging is hard and time consuming,
in fact 15 minutes before this one opened I was still drilling holes in the wall for pieces that I had expected to be free standing, so when the exhibition opened I was as usual
"stressed, tired and ready for a drink".
After the event, I look back every time and appreciate that this is a lot of fun, but never at the time. The day after I am always deflated, and feel a little lost.
I have no goal or immediate challenge to occupy my time.
Sure I have a lot to catch up on, but nothing as exciting, worrying or challenging.

Of course, this is the ideal time to blog but I feel so washed out I can't find the enthusiasm,
So I put it off, for a day, and another day, then before I know it I am so involved with new ideas and projects I don't have the time.
So before I go any further I thought that I had better show a few of the pieces that are in the exhibition, then I will come back with a whole new blog about what has got me excited this week.
Mind, this still means that I am about a week out with different events.
Never mind.

Above is a fantastic Rook by Emma Rodgers
Two sculptures by John Maltby and a Horse by Paul Priest.

3 comments:

  1. I soooo want to come visit all the great work you show! But, alas, its still a while away until I'll make my way across the sea.... thanks for blogging, its at least a way to get a taste.
    Abundance to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure that my desire to visit your forest equals matches your desire
    to visit us, so far away.
    One day it will be good to meet, and I look forward to it.
    I must admit I found it hard to believe you need water [rain], I had imagined the forest to be damp, moist and beautiful all year around.
    What do I know?
    Is the river still flowing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The river is flowing beautifully.... I went for a nice swim today. And, yes, the forest climate is damp, but it is humidity making it so these days, we are bone dry, my little pools and ponds are all dried up. Thunderstorms have been scurrying around the region, but missing the forest! Fortunately, the hemlocks stay beautiful and green with or without the rain, its my garden and the farms in the area that are struggling a bit - and the magical mosses....

    And, yes, someday I will have a lovely journey to the UK - I'll need to rent a car and travel to all the various spots I;m learning about through the blogging community- and maybe even put a few faces to all those posts!

    ReplyDelete