Welcome to the Gallery

Imagine is set in the Suffolk village of Long Melford.
This is an attempt to record the daily trials, tribulation and pleasure of running an art gallery.

Monday 29 March 2010





As work is starting to filter in for our coming exhibition I have begun to feel a little more settled.
I can see it all taking shape before me, and I know at the opening
When I have at last calmed down I will really enjoy it all, and will be able to appreciate the 
different pieces of art that I am receiving.
Sometimes you can be too close to things and it takes a little time to be able to "stand back" and see things in the way that they are viewed by others.
If that makes any sense.
I suppose I'm just trying to say that at times stress spoils things a little.

There are times that I get annoyed with some galleries that only hold exhibitions with certain artists in the knowledge that "this will be another sell out".
It seems so wrong, it makes good financial sense but to me it seems a bad thing to do.
Sure, I certainly want to make some money, but I also want to show work that I feel needs to be seen for its own sake.
This of course involves a little bit of risk, but when it works brings us so much pleasure.
First and foremost the pleasure comes from knowing that you haven't let the artist down,
which believe it or not is the greatest pressure that I feel on a daily basis.
I appreciate that a lot of artist/craftspeople have taken a chance with us, and more than anything I want to repay their trust and loyalty.
Risk is a two way thing, the artist takes a chance with us, then we take a gamble that what we are doing will appeal.
So while I really believe in the coming exhibition it is hard to enjoy the work as it arrives
because there is a lot of trust and goodwill attached to it, and it is only when the door "opens"
and things are then out of my control that I can stand back and think
"that's really beautiful" or "how on earth was that made".
Those days I am just a member of the public, and I enjoy it.
Perhaps too much sometimes, because we always seem to get though a load of wine.

So, things are starting to be delivered and with a little trepidation I am starting to look
forward to the opening [with a fluttering heart].

Here are a few [only a few] of the pieces that have arrived today.
I will try to keep on top of things and to show you different pieces as they come.

So here we have an ALICE apron, dress and stilettos [what a tart] all made from a vintage
Alice In Wonderland book. The book was by Lewis Carroll [my joke] and
the art by Jennifer Collier.
The last piece is the first of many by the sculptor Jan Mayle.
Tweedle Dum & Tweedle Dee
[I'm not sure which is which]


No comments:

Post a Comment